By: Maddie Ogletree
April showers do bring May flowers, but they also bring the threat of flooding in your home. Especially if you live in a home with a basement, this time of the year’s weather threatens to cause some serious damage. Here are a few tips that will help you stay out of deep water this spring.
1. Always make sure all electrical systems and outlets are a foot or more above the typical flood level in your area.
2. Take the time to figure out how water flows in the area around your home. It’s better to know if you’re in the danger zone for flooding ahead of time.
3. Keep your gutters clean and clear of debris. Yes, it’s annoying to keep up. Yes, it’s necessary to keep your home safe.
4. Regularly check your foundation for cracks and holes. Especially as the rainy season begins, you’ll be better off if you spend some time scoping it out now.
5. Doing a little strategic landscaping can help keep your basement clear of water damage. Plant some shrubs around your home to help absorb water during a rainstorm.
Unfortunately, there is no foolproof plan to prevent flooding. If you need help cleaning up, you can contact a restoration company by searching fire and water damage restoration on the Pro Search Page.